Wedding

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Wedding tickers

Monday, April 27, 2009

I had to write a letter to the editor...

Here it is

Day Care in High Schools

What does it teach young girls to put day care in high schools? It teaches them that getting pregnant is ok, which it should not be. Putting day care in high schools leads to a trend of thinking it’s cute to have a child without the means to take care of it and that they don’t need to have any responsibility. Teens are making pacts to get pregnant in high school in Massachusetts so they can raise their children together; where are the parents of these teens and what do they have to say about it? Day care pretty much allows free time for teen parents to hang out with their friends, where they make it seems so fun to be a teen parent and pretty much have a toy to take home and play with at night. Not only are they given free child care they often receive many other benefits such as WIC (Women Infants Children) support but in many cases free housing through HUD. Why are we rewarding young women for having children when they are still children themselves? Not only do they receive benefits while they are in high school, they receive the majority of the means to take care of the child after and also often receive financial aid to pay for their college where many of their friends without children won’t qualify.


I even got it published in the Las Cruces Sun Newspaper and got some comments back. Most people didn't agree with me but they did comment!

I had to write this for one of my class assignments and 25% of my grade was getting it published. I picked the topic though. I was proud of myself as I was one of the first in the class to get published. How I found out it was published was an even better story though. I was just hanging out one night and I got a txt from one of my buddies I hadn't seen in a while asking if I was the Kim Tysseling in the Sun News... it had been about a week since I had sent it in so I was a little confused. I thought for a minute and replied with a yes. He told me that he completely agreed with me. I was pretty happy so I thought I would share :)

1 comment:

Alicia said...

That ROCKS!! Good job! Did you clip a copy for the rest of us?